Showbiz Ambush by Ambet Nabus
Among the very hot items that the showbiz community feasted on last February was the exchange of words (especially in social media) between actor Xian Lim and Albay Governor Joey Salceda.
Even though Xian’s ‘apology’ was easily accepted by Gov. Salceda, it could still not be considered as an all-is-well-that-ends-well situation between them.
Gov. Salceda is known for promoting tourism in Bicol through festivals and events highlighting a town’s culture, and by inviting artists, local or foreign, to tourist spots in the region.
We will not delve anymore on the reported root of the issue, but we will just echo what Gov. Salceda told us when we interviewed him.
According to Gov. Salceda, “In the spirit of Lent, I would like to accept Xian’s apology. And since I believe that he is aware of his actions, he should also be reminded of the consequences of what he is asking for. At para maging kumpleto ang proseso ng “asking of apology and doing the penance, repentance, acceptance, and restitution, gusto ko siyang bigyan ng isang Amazing Race-Albay challenge.”
“We are more than willing to sponsor his challenge (except for his high talent fee) as I feel, hindi naman ako lang bilang Punong Lalawigan ang kanyang sinaktan, kundi ang mga ordinaryong staff namin sa tourism office — na nabastos na, pinalabas pa niyang sinungaling,” added Gov. Salceda.
At para mabuksan muli ang pinto sa kanya ng Bicol at para tunay niyang ma-experience ang pagiging isang Bicolano gaya ng sinasabi niyang “ugat” niya (na marahil daw ay nakalimutang i-remind sa kanya ng lola at tatay niya na mga tubong-Bicol pala), heto ang listahan ng itinerary ng Albay Challenge:
1. Visit Lake Danao in Polangui town to appreciate the smallest fish, “sinarapan”
2. Visit the Oas Church, and take a picture at the baptistry, which dates back to the year 1600
3. Go to the General Simeon Ola Museum, the hero of Albay, in Guinobatan town
4. Visit the sunflower plants and kawakawa hills in Ligao City
5. Enjoy the Cagsawa ruins
6. Ride the ATV (Auto Terrain Vehicle) that the likes of Zac Efron, Kris Aquino, Kathniel, and others have enjoyed at Mayon
7. Take a look at the church on the hills and pray to Nuestro Porteria in Daraga town
8. Eat sili ice cream
9. Go to Lignon Hills and look at the whole of Albay in Legazpi City
10. Have a “chill” at the Mayon Rest house in Tabaco City
11. Take a picture of Vera Falls and do river tubing in Malinao Town
12. Eat DJC halo-halo and pray to the Nuestra Senora de Salvacion in Tiwi Town
And since the Provincial Tourism and Cultural Affairs Office is dead serious on its campaign to “promote real fun” in the Philippines, it also addressed the management of Star Magic on the need for a cultural and ethical value-enhancement seminar.
“Kailangang mag-undergo ng cultural enhancement and tourism ethics seminar ang mga artista, handlers, at road managers dahil hindi lang rumaraket bilang celebrities ang mga role model-stars nila and their assistants, kundi dahil may power silang mag-influence, magsabi ng totoo, at maging bahagi ng cultural and tourism affairs ng bansa,” said Gov. Salceda.
“Lahat sila ay may kapangyarihan na maging spokesperson ng tamang behavior at dapat na alam nila ang proper decorum once na maimbitahan sila sa mga events, festivals, at iba pa na tourism and cultural values ang prino-promote. They don’t just go there to sing or dance, have photos with fans, and sign autographs. Hindi sila binabayaran nang matataas na TF para magpa-cute at mag-feeling diva o hari,” bahagi pa ng paliwanag ng napakahusay na si Gov. Salceda.